Ropetown

Is wheel a curse?
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Cell Phone Laws in States
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:03 am 
Ropetown

Just a friendly heads up for those in the US.

As far as I know almost every state has enacted a cell phone law prohibiting the use of a handheld device without a hands-free unit.

Almost every single state however CANNOT pull you over for the new law. It is considered a secondary offense meaning you must have committed a primary offense such as speeding, failure to yield, etc.

So if you get pulled over for using your phone double check your state law cause most of them cannot ticket you for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:10 am 

Any experienced LEO wouldn't attempt to pull you over for this violation. 90% of the time this violation occurs with a primary violation which is what prompted the LEO to notice you in the first place. As it turns out, talking on your phone actually impairs your ability to operate a vehicle. Who knew!? /sarcasm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:15 am 
Ropetown

Heh Maryland cops both state and local I guarantee will do it all the time. The difference is that many people will just say ok and pay the 50 dollar and subsequent infraction 100 dollar fines and move on.

It surprises me how many people get pulled over for speeding or for something stupid and consent to a full car search only to get pissed when there is a 2 month old crushed beer can or even worse a old smoked piece that they completely forgot about and now are guilty of a felony.

Ignorance of the law isn't a defense but perhaps even worse, ignorance of what the law enforcers can do is just plain bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:32 am 

Fabious wrote:
Ignorance of the law isn't a defense but perhaps even worse, ignorance of what the law enforcers can do is just plain bad.

Just think how much stress would be avoided by not breaking the law in the first place. I have no sympathy for that person with the joint or beer can in their car. They shouldn't be in possession of either in the first place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:35 am 
Ropetown

I agree I am just saying.

Post subject: Re: Cell Phone Laws in States
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:42 pm 
Ropetown

Fabious wrote:
Just a friendly heads up for those in the US.

As far as I know almost every state has enacted a cell phone law prohibiting the use of a handheld device without a hands-free unit.

Almost every single state however CANNOT pull you over for the new law. It is considered a secondary offense meaning you must have committed a primary offense such as speeding, failure to yield, etc.

So if you get pulled over for using your phone double check your state law cause most of them cannot ticket you for it.

Don't try it in New York; it's primary. Texting, however, is secondary.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:14 pm 
Ropetown

Ya just text and dial with your dick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:21 am 
i know him!

HOWS THIS LAW NEW LOL? CAN U STILL DRINK AND DRIVE IN TEXAS WHILE ASSFUCKING A DONKEY OR WUT

I HEARD U CAN BURN RED LIGHTS IN ITALY CONFIRM/DENY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:33 am 
Ropetown

Hot wrote:
Fabious wrote:

Just think how much stress would be avoided by not breaking the law in the first place. I have no sympathy for that person with the joint or beer can in their car. They shouldn't be in possession of either in the first place.

I agree Hot. However, Cops are pretty crafty in tricking you to giving up your rights. I don't smoke, rarely drink and hardly ever speed but I will fight tooth and nail to prevent my car from being searched.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:25 am 
Ropetown

having your car stripped and searched is more inconvenient than anything else, especially if there is NOTHING for them to find in there. it also is kind of invading your privacy (in a literal sense, not in the sense of the law).

your car is left in a state of ruin inside, and they do a very thorough job going through there. i've had my car searched twice (both times i actually was in the wrong, though nothing was found in there), and getting back to your towed vehicle only to find shit all askew in there was kind of annoying and disconcerting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:06 pm 
Ropetown

oh i'm talking about searching on the side of the road. either way, fuck dat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:59 am 
vulture + lyra = shmoopy

iowa bans texting/browsing/email/(everything except talking or brief dialing) while driving, but you can still talk its not illegal here. But if you're under 18 it's still illegal to operate a cell phone in any circumstance while driving.

I've never been an unsafe driver while talking on a cell phone. The impairment to my driving is minimal, but I also pick and choose when to use my cell phone. If I'm being forced into a 35mph high traffic urban road with lots of turning involved ala mythbusters I'd probably decline to use my phone or pull over. I typically drive 1 handed already so I already have my free hand to use cell phone. I rarely pay attention to people I'm talking to on cell phone anyway, so I'm not really mentally distracted either. whenever I've needed two hands on the wheel I usually just toss my phone down for a few seconds until I've recovered. I tried texting once several years ago while driving and it sucked trying to focus on the road, I never did it again.

It's bad drivers that make bad drivers, not cell phones. you should pick and choose when to use. bad drivers are just made WORSE because they dont know when to use. good drivers are fine because they know how to prioritize driving over talking.

another note: although not in any way illegal(or at least provably so???), looking at other people in the car to talk or w/e while driving, looking at the radio to fiddle with it, grabbing stuff out of the back seat, adjusting mirrors, etc, while driving..... see it all the time. basically every bit as dangerous as texting. what makes it safe is knowing when you're safe to take your eyes off the road for only a second or two at most, and otherwise not doing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:47 am 
Ropetown

These are good laws, while i worked i used to talk on my cell phone(hold it on the side of my head) usualy had lunch in one hand while i was trying flip through a map to find my next job, all while driving with my knee.

I may be very good at driving with my knee now but i know it wasnt safe, and it wasnt because i was trying to be unsafe but when your busy you make stupid choices.

Now saying that i know i can handle a vehical better while doing all that then the retarded fuck that does 20km/h(yes im canadian) less the speed limit who insists on merging across 2-3 lanes of traffic without shoulder checking or even looking at his mirrors and always has to drive in the left lane.

times like that i want to mad max people and just run them off the road into a pole.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:46 pm 
Ropetown

i'd say a third of all my calls of traffic collisions are related to texting, or phone use while driving.

and i cant tell you how many stupid bitches are blocking lanes while i have lights and sirens blaring in their fucking face and they're just twiddling their twat texting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:37 pm 
Ropetown

i never understood the allude of texting at all.