Hai2u Arce. And yeah, Katrina = evil. :((

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:40 pm 

hi2u2 Baka.
Sup Slim :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:20 am 
Ropetown

In case anyone is interested, I live in Baton Rouge, LA.
We are the "refuge" for all of the people who are (still) evacuating New Orleans.

How to make a city double in size in three easy steps:
  1. Build city that's below sea level, and then build high levees around it so it's bowl-shaped.
  2. Have major hurricane with big storm surge.
  3. Have major housing projects for that city's poor, resulting in many, many people with the collective mindset, "It won't get that bad." who won't leave until after the storm is gone and the water is rising in the city.

And now, the list:
  • The state government has done a wonderful job with the resources they have, but the federal government has been completely absent.
  • The president, in an interview yesterday morning on "Good Morning, America", while laughing over the whole thing, said, "No one knew New Orleans would flood." Sorry, that's all anyone has ever said about New Orleans for the past hundred-something years.
  • It has been a big embarassment. Federal help is lacking, people looting and shooting at rescuers in New Orleans forced many search-and-rescue missions to end.
  • Baton Rouge has taken on many of the refugees from New Orleans, and the city has doubled in size in a matter of a few days.
  • Because of some of the more dangerous refugees, many of Baton Rouge's state offices and many shops were closed yesterday. Some were locked-down because things were getting dangerous for awhile.
  • Houses and stores are being broken into or looted.

I'm safe, but I've had to move out of my house because we're still without power, and being there in the dark is no longer safe. It's also hot as hell, temperatures being in the 90s (that's Fahrenheit for you Canadians). I'm kinda floating around right now, living with my mom and sister at my grandparents' house or with a friend and his family (several lost their homes in Slidell and New Orleans).
Everyone in the still-half-dark (I swear, the power company, Entergy, is worthless) city is on edge. With all the extra people here, streets are even more congested than usual, restaurants and stores are running out of supplies and food, and gas stations are running out of gas (for which the price is rising still).

The United States can rush to help any other country, but when something happens in the country, it turns into a major disaster because they don't give a shit.

Not trying to turn it into a political thing, but the mayors and governor are pleading for help from the federal goverment still, because it hasn't arrived yet, and they should've been at the ready the instant the hurricane was gone. Louisiana's resources are spread few and far between.

I'm still interested in Ropetown, but I can't really commit to it until things here settle. I still would really like to have the chance, and I hope this doesn't affect it.

Thanks and stay safe,
~Tatsumaru

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:30 am 
Roped

I didn't really know how bad the situation was there until I started reading this blog http://www.livejournal.com/users/interdictor/

On of my friends said he heard that some medical workers who whelped with the tsunami said it's just as bad in NO as it was there.

gl to you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:22 pm 

A girl i used to work with moved down to New Orleans two months ago...She was evacuated to Baton Rouge and then from there she had to go somewhere else (not sure where, noone has been able to get through to her). But the last conversation anyone has had with her she managed to get out with 4 sets of clothing..That is now her only belongings :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:55 pm 

Best of luck to you afflicted by this disaster. Hard to feel the impact in the northeast, but I can't imagine the trouble some people are in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:14 am 
Ropetown

beebel wrote:
Best of luck to you afflicted by this disaster.

I definitely did not feel the worst of the storm, but we're feeling the full-impact of the incompetence and unpreparedness of the rescue and recovery efforts.
Thanks. Everyone is always greatful knowing that someone is thinking about them and trying to help their situations.

beebel wrote:
Hard to feel the impact in the northeast, but I can't imagine the trouble some people are in.

Say that again next time you go to get gas. :cry:

Rowenne wrote:
A girl i used to work with moved down to New Orleans two months ago...She was evacuated to Baton Rouge and then from there she had to go somewhere else (not sure where, noone has been able to get through to her). But the last conversation anyone has had with her she managed to get out with 4 sets of clothing..That is now her only belongings :(

We have thousands of people here like that, now. Many of them are in shelters, but many more are wandering the streets. They have no home, no where to go (shelters are all full), and own nothing more than perhaps the shirt and pants they wear.
They had to be evacuated, yes, but no one thought about what to do with them after they got out to here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:36 am 

Right now I'm in College Station, Texas. This city is about 2 hours north of Houston. I'm attending college here. 1000 evacuees just arrived 2 days ago and our being housed in our Basketball arena Reed arena.

I lived in Lafayette, LA for 11 years so I have many friends who were going to school in the NO area and had to be evacuated =\.

Tatsumaru I would have to agree with you about the response, on the State level and just citizens and general, the reaction and help being supplied is great, however it sure did take a while for the federal goverment to even mobilize some enforcement down there (i.d. the Army).

In any case, it is going to take freakin' forever for things to settle down over there. I feel bad enough for my friends who had to evacuate and attend college some where else, but it really hasn't set in on me on the families I know down there that have had most of their belongings destroyed.

Best of luck to you Tatsumaru and anyone you know that is in need of a bit a help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:54 pm 
Ropetown

Thanks.
I hope everyone can get their lives back in order quickly and comfortably.

Everything here is crazy, but what I've suffered is far from the worst.

As for the government response, you haven't seen anything yet...
wait until the body count comes out. :(